Sunday 15 March 2009

My first Reflective Blogging


Today I'm going to write my first 'Reflective blogging' post! During this semester I'm going to write similar posts quite often because they entail reflecting on my learning process and creating a sort of diary of my improvements. Moreover, in this way I know that I MUST work on them each week if I want to have my conscience cleared ;-)
Unluckily I wasn't in class last week so I didn't work on my learning targets. However, I reflected for a while and I can say I need and I want to improve my spoken interaction and my writing. The former because sometimes I'm a bit shy and, as I speak, I become nervous and I make a lot of mistakes and try to correct myself while speaking and performing too long sentences. The latter because I want to improve and enrich my vocabulary and my style, indeed when I write I sometimes create very long and complex sentences. Furthermore, I want to work on them because they are going to be very important for a future job and, more in general, for the interaction with foreign people. I think that during this week I had to deal with them in different ways. About my writing, I worked on an analysis of a job offer (one of our assessments with Professor Taylor), I read some articles for my thesis and I'm working on my blog. About my spoken interaction, I tried to participate actively to our lessons in class and I offered to do a Power Point presentation for Professor Taylor. I think that our Thursday lesson was very useful for both my goals, indeed we had to correct in groups the comments we wrote. So, I could interact with other people and learn how to correct our most common mistakes (I have to admit that correcting our comments wasn't that easy!). Moreover, I had to present the blog I found (Dumb Little Man, you can find it on my favorite blogs) and one of my class mates and describe them in a critical way.
I think in the blogsphere I can find many examples of good formal and informal texts that can be useful for me and for improving my writing and my vocabulary, both in technical and everyday fields. Moreover, I can find videos and interviews that I can listen to in order to improve my pronunciation and have examples of fluent chats and talks. So, let's work on them!

Bye guys!

Elisabetta


1 comment:

  1. Hi Elisabetta!
    I've just read your post about your language targets...they are quite the same as mine: both of us would like to improve our oral as well as writing skills and think blogging will serve the purpose because reflecting upon our learning process step by step can really help to become aware of both our strong and weak points.Moreover, I agree with you in considering the blogosphere a real source for different language styles, so we can learn how to communicate in different contexts. As far as oral interaction is concerned,we'll work at Thursday lessons at 8.30...I think it's much better to be very few in class because we can practice a lot with ease - I'm abit shy, too, so it's not so easy for me to speak in front of others without being nervous.As regards writing skills I think that during this last semester we should manage to really write in English...I mean, we should forget what we are asked to do when writing something in Italian and think just in English!so...be as concise and clear as possible!
    I hope we'll achieve our goals!
    See you soon,
    Michela

    ReplyDelete