Sunday 3 May 2009

Reflective Blogging: Google Docs


Hi guys!

The new discovery of the week is: GOOGLE DOCS!
Ok, it's not a brand new discovery but I finally realized how I can use it and how it can be useful for me and my life ;-) Even if Google Docs is similar to a Wiki, it has some main advantages. Indeed, you can work with other people on the same document and edit it at the same time. It's your individual document and you have to invite people in order to work on it.

Do you think my explanation is a bit confusing? May be, so here you are a useful link about it and my personal complete description of the features of Google Docs:
  • it's on the Web;
  • you can work with other people simultaneously;
  • it's your individual document;
  • you have to invite other people to work on your document.
I experienced its use with my English classmates last week but I have to say that it was a bit frustrating. Indeed, we were tooooo much people working on the same document and our Google Docs continually changed, moved, shifted,...ahhhhh!!!!!! However, I think that it' s useful for my academic career and everyday life. For example, thanks to it I can have access to my documents all the time I want even if I'm not at home. Moreover, I can work in a team on the same document without problems of arranging a meeting and this is really useful! These are only two examples of how Google Docs can be used but I can imagine many different ways of 'exploit' my discovery and now I can apply it whenever I need it!

I hope and think this discovery is useful for you too!

Bye!


Elisabetta

4 comments:

  1. Hi Betta!
    I've just read your reflective post about Google Docs. As I already wrote to Anna and Cristina, you explained the advantages of this tool very well, too. I also think your post has a positive visual impact on the reader because you left a blank space between the paragraphs, used a brief list to describe the features of Google Docs, and the paragraphs aren't too long.
    As for language, I think your message is clear and grammatically correct. However, here are just few suggestions for you.
    - The sentence "I experienced its use with my English last week" doesn't sound me good in English...but it's just my impression!
    - You wrote "I think that its use is useful..". This mistake is due to the interference of the Italian language. In Italian you write better when you write more, trying to explain the concept as clear as possible, even if the risk is that of becoming pedant. I'd have simply written "I think it's useful for....".
    For now that's all,
    See you soon
    Michela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisabetta,
    First of all I like the picture very much! It is so bright and colorful.
    As I already wrote to Anna I appreciate the fact that you use indents. I think they make the post more clear from a visual poin of view.
    Concerning the language here are few suggestions:
    -in the sentence "you have to invite people in order to work on it with you" I think you can omit "with you" because it is implied
    -in the sentence "experienced its use with my English last week" it is not very clear for me what you mean...
    -in the sentence "I think that its use is useful for my academic and everyday life" I think it is better if you write "I think that it is useful" so you don't repeat use and useful in the same sentence.
    See you tomorrow
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betta!
    I found your reflective post on Google Docs very easy to read, you followed a well-established layout with the use of paragraphs, and you included a list too. I like your clear and straightforward style as I think it is appropriate for a blog post: you immediately caught the attention of the reader with the first sentence and than you explained the main subject, keeping the attention alive with the use of some questions within the text.
    I agree with you when you said that it was a bit frustrating to use Google Docs with too many people working on the same document as the page continually changed.

    As far as language mistakes are concerned, you made only one spelling mistake writing “simoultaneosly” instead of “simultaneously”. I like the fact that you used some onomatopoeic words such as in the sentence “we were tooooo much people working on the same document and our Google Docs continually changed, moved, shifted,...ahhhhh!!!!!!”, because they can suggest perfectly what were your feelings, but I would keep the simply “too” in order to be more grammatically correct.
    Here followed further suggestions:
    -I would have changed the first sentence a little bit: “EVEN IF Google Docs is similar to a Wiki, it has some main advantages”;
    - Here I would have added a word to make the sentence clearer: “I experienced its use with my English CLASSMATES last week but I have to say that it was a bit frustrating.”
    - Here I would say: “we were too MANY people”
    - I would have added another word to make the sentence clearer: “I think that its use is useful for my academic CAREER and everyday life”
    - I think it is better to say: “I can apply it WHENEVER I need it!
    Hope these corrections are clear enough, and I am confident that these weekly feedback will help us to improve.
    See you soon,
    Bye
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls!
    I corrected my version. I think that your corrections were right and I updated my post ;-)

    ReplyDelete