Sunday 10 May 2009

Reflecting Blogging: INTERNET as a BOOGYMAN?



Hi guys!
This week I'm going to write to you about the risks involved in using the Internet. I reflected with some friends and we realized that the main problems you have to face while using the INTERNET are:
  • privacy violation,
  • identity problems,
  • running into unwanted sexual, violent or illegal content,
  • viruses and Trojan horses
  • cloning,
  • unconscious clicking
  • unwanted sexual, violent, illegal contents,
  • copyright infringements,
  • false information
  • addiction.
Ok, the list is a bit long but don't panic ;-) If we read through it carefully we can notice that all these troubles can be avoided using the Internet in a CRITICAL WAY. Now I'm sure that you are wondering: What does 'in a critical way' mean? I have an example for you! I use Facebook almost everyday because I think it's really useful to keep in touch with my friends who live abroad, and I share photos, links and other information with them. For this reason, I avoid having in my list of friends people I don't want to share my personal information with, or I use some filters ;-) So, we have to apply the same behaviour we have in our everyday life to our Internet life! For example, I don't think you usually tell your secrets or show your photos to the people you don't know, or you strongly believe in everything you read on newspapers or you see on TV.

I think that to be a RESPONSIBLE USER is fundamental especially when we have children using the Internet. This doesn't mean that we have to prevent them from using the PC because of the unwanted content they could find. Indeed, Internet is a new technology and contains useful and interesting information for children too. The important thing is that they use it with the help and supervision of an adult who should be the captain of their navigations ;-)

Do I reassure you about the Internet? I hope so, and remember that Internet is like our real world: neither safer nor more dangerous.

Bye,

Elisabetta

3 comments:

  1. Hi Betta!
    I really like your post!I think it's clear, concise and logically-structured. I also agree with everything you wrote, and I found your conclusion really impressive: I think that it sums up the whole issue brilliantly!
    As far as language is concerned, I have just few suggestions for you because I think your message is grammatically correct.
    - In your list you wrote "to run into ...". I'd write "running into.." just because all the other items of the list are nouns or verbs in the -ing form. In this way you keep the list coherent.
    - I'd write "if we read through it carefully we can notice...".

    For now that's all,
    see you soon,
    Michela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betta!
    I found your blog post on the risks in using the Internet clear and well structured. You used a catching title and image and then you introduced the reader into the core of the topic with a brief introduction and some bullet-points.
    I like the fact that you talked about a critical use of the Internet providing examples from your personal experience, such as the one of Facebook. Moreover I agree with you when you talked about the fact of being careful not to share private information with unknown people and “applying the same behaviour we have in our everyday life to our Internet life!”
    You had also the nice idea of talking about the risks that children run in using the Internet if not properly followed by an adult, and I think that this is a crucial point too that can’t be avoided.

    As far as the language is concerned, here below I have some suggestions for you:

    •viruses and trojan horses (I’d write Trojan horse with capital letter)
    •cloning (I’d add credit card cloning)
    •addiction (I’d write computer addiction to be more specific)
    •Ok, the list is a bit long but don't panic ;-) I think that this sentence starting with “ok” sounds a little bit Italian. I’d write “ Don’t panic if the list above is a bit long!”
    •I have an example for you! (I’d write “here follows an example for you”)
    •I share with them photos, links and other information. I’d suggest “I share photos, links and other information with them”. Remember not to split the verb form the object.

    I hope that my suggestions are right and clear enough!
    See you on Wednesday,
    Bye
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisabetta!
    Your post is well structured and in particular I like the fact that you put all the problems that you have to face using Internet in a clear list.
    Concerning the language I have some suggestions:

    -In the introduction you use the expression "using the internet" twice...maybe I would try to find another expression.

    -in the sentence "if we carefully read through it we can notice" I would put "carefully after "through it"

    See you tomorrow
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete