Wednesday 22 April 2009

Reflective Blogging: FOOTLOOSE SHOES?




Hi guys!

I was going to analyze the article I chose for my post about Critical Reading but I realized that I didn't like it very much :-( So, I decided to find a new article that could be useful for my thesis, as well. So, forgive me for my change but here you are the link of my new article: Footlose Shoes? International competition and Industrial Districts in the Italian Footwear Industry.

It was published in 1998 and the author is Jochen Lorentzen (Department of International Economics and Management Copenaghen Business School and School of Development Studies University of Natal). In this academic article the Italian footwear districts are analyzed from the point of view of international competition, internal cohesion and delocalization.
The article respects the hourglass structure. Indeed, there is a general introduction about Italian districts. The body is divided into three specific paragraphs which go down in specific details respectively about: The global and the local, Competition in the world footwear industry and Delocalization. Finally, the conclusion sums up in a general way what was written before about Italian footwear district's strategies and evolution in local and international industry policy. The division into paragraphs helps the reader to follow the logical flow of ideas: the discourse starts about global and local market and then focuses about footwear industry and the strategy of delocalising the production abroad. In this way, the text is really clear and easy to understand. Furthermore, it can be considered clear because conjunctions and subordinators render it cohesive. For example, 'on the whole' and 'to sum up' are often used, and they are useful to understand when a statement is giving a general conclusive idea about the topic. However, sometimes the lexicon is complex and difficult to understand because the article's assumed audience are footwear or industrial experts.

I think that a blog post should have the same features of an academic writing. As you can find in Handout2, they should be:
  1. well structured;
  2. logical;
  3. clear and concise;
  4. coherent.
It is important to notice that these features are applied to a different writing genre with some different consequences. For example, the concision of a blog post is linked to the fact that if it is too long the reader get bored; the clearness of a blog is linked to colours, font and pictures' disposition; a blog is coherent when links are used in the right way. So, remember to apply your list to your blog posts but with the right adaptations ;-)

Bye!


Elisabetta

2 comments:

  1. Hi Betta!
    Happy Easter to you too, even if a little bit late
    I found that you change your article for your critical reading too, anyway nice choice! I think that it is very interesting, as it concerns a specific field. I see that maybe now you have clearer ideas about your future job too, and that’s really appreciating!
    I found your post well-structured, clear, and complete, however you can find here below some suggestions:

    Reflective Blogging: FOOTLOOSE SHOES?
    Hi guys!
    I was going to analyze the article I chose for my post about Critical Reading ( here I would have put a comma before but) but I realized that I didn't like it very much :-( (I like the way you use emoticons, they can help us to establish an informal interaction, that is essential in the language of the blog) So, I decided to find a new article that could be useful for my thesis, as well. So, forgive me for my change but here you are (I think it is better to put: here is the link of) my new article: Footlose Shoes? International competition and Industrial Districts in the Italian Footwear Industry.

    It was published in 1998 and the author is Jochen Lorentzen (Department of International Economics and Managment Copenagnen (here I think you made two typing mistakes) Business School and School of Development Studies University of Natal). In this academic article the Italian footwear districts are analyzed from the point of view of international competition, internal cohesion and delocalization. The article respect(here you forgot to put the final –s for the third person) the hourglass structure. Indeed, (nice way to be cohesive within the text) there is a general introduction about Italian districts. The body is divided into three specific paragraphs, (here I wouldn’t have put the comma) which go down in specific details respectively about: The global and the local, Competition in the world footwear industry and Delocalization. Finally, the conclusion sums up (I think that “in a general way” is unnecessary here, as you already put the verb “to sum up”) what was written before about Italian footwear district's strategies and evolution in local and international industry policy. The division into paragraphs helps the reader to follow the logical flow of ideas: the discourse starts about global and local market and then focuses about footwear industry and the startegy (here there is another typing mistake) of delocalising the production abroad. In this way, the text is really clear and easy to understand. Furthermore, it can be considered clear because the conjunctions and subordinators render it cohesive (here I erased “that”). For example, 'on the whole' and 'to sum up' are often used (here I added a comma before and) , and they are useful to understand when a statement is giving a general conclusive idea about the topic. However, sometimes the lexicon is complex and difficult to understand because the article's assumed audience are footwear or industrial experts.

    I think that (a) blog post should have the same features of (an) academic writing(In this way the information is more specific). As you can find in Handout2, they should be:
    1. well structured;
    2. logical;
    3. clear and concise;
    4. coherent.
    (I like the way you used numbers to list, they allow you to be more logical and concise within the post).
    However, (Not to repeat “however” once again, here I would have put for example: “It is necessary to notice that…)these features are applied to a different writing genre with some different consequences. For example, the concision of a blog post is linked to the fact that if it is too long the reader get bored; the clearness of a blog is linked to colours, font and pictures' disposition; a blog is coherent when links are used in the right way. So, remember to apply your list to your blog posts but with the right adaptations ;-)

    Bye!

    Elisabetta


    I hope that my suggestions will help you to reflect on your writing, which I think is good and clear. So keep up with your good work on blog!
    Bye
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anna!I corrected my version with your suggestions! I think they are really useful to improve my writing skills!
    See you tomorrow,

    Elisabetta

    ReplyDelete