Wednesday 22 April 2009

Reflective Blogging: APA vs MLA



Hi guys!

I'm here again ;-) I'm sorry but I worked very hard on my thesis during the last few weeks, so I didn't have a lot of time :-( However, the work I did is useful for my reflections! Indeed, I'm going to write about APA and MLA. These are two international styles of formatting texts.
In order to compare the two styles I start giving you one example about a reference for a book.

APA (American Psychological Association):
Anastasia, B. and CorĂ², G. (1996). Evoluzione di un'economia regionale. Portogruaro: Ediciclo.

MLA (Modern Language Association):
Anastasia, Barbara and CorĂ², Giovanni. Evoluzione di un'economia regionale (underlined title). Portogruaro: Edicilo, 1996.

As you can notice, the APA puts before the year of publication and the title is in italics and there's only the initial letter of the author's first name. On the other hand, the MLA has the title underlined, the year of publication is written at the end and the first name of the author is fully given. This rule is followed in references for articles and in periodicals too. Another difference is that APA uses in-text citations characterized by the name of the author and the date of publication, while in MLA in-text citations require the page number too.
More in general, MLA has more strict rules about style citations, preferes abbreviations and involves many different style and options for the different kinds of works to refere to and to cite. On the other hand, APA has less options but provides tips for the format too. So, I think that APA is more easy to use when wrtining my references.

When I wrote my BA thesis I used a mixture of the two styles. Here you are an example:
Blake, William, The Early Illuminated Books (London:the William Blake Trust, 1998)

However, in my final thesis I'm using a different format that follows the APA style apart from punctuation and abbreviations (my marketing professor 'suggested' it to me) . Here you are an example:
Agnis, Teri (1999), The End of Fashion: the Mass Marketing of the Clothing Business, New York: Morrow.

So, choose the style and format you prefere and feel more comfortable with and GOOD LUCK for your thesis!

Elisabetta

No comments:

Post a Comment